Picking the right video or photography studio for your projects will depend on several factors, including the size of your production, lighting and privacy requirements, as well as your budget and schedule. Most rental spaces have a website where you can see a map of the studio’s layout, a list of amenities, pictures of props and sets that can be used during your rental, as well as the hourly or daily rental rates. In the San Francisco Bay Area there are numerous artfully designed studio spaces that are accessible and will exceed your expectations. Check out the following list of photography and video studios in the Bay Area, because each studio on this list has something uniquely special to offer!
Mama Dog Studios
700 26th St, Oakland, CA 94612
Mama Dog Studios is a solar-powered, 5,000 sq. ft. space in Oakland’s uptown art district. The studio is beautifully designed for photography or video productions and offers 3 unique spaces:
- The Soundstage:
- 2,500 sq. ft. drive-in sound stage with a 35’ x 55’ cyclorama wall
- Customisable lighting grid and 3-phase power
- SDI feeds to a viewing room and makeup room
- The Daylight Photo Studio has plenty of natural light all day long.
- The 30’ x 30’ Room is a black walled photo studio.
Mama Dog Studios offers photography and film equipment rentals, as well as assistance to help you find PAs, a project manager, and other support staff that you may need. To book at Mama Dog Studios, visit the website to view the rates and call or email to request a booking.
2200 Wood St, Oakland, CA 94607
Soundwave Studios is a versatile spot in West Oakland offering a variety of different sized rooms that you can book hourly, daily, or monthly. The rooms are perfect for film and video productions, especially music videos. There are various rooms of different sizes and specialties:
- The Standard Rooms are approximately 25’ x 20’.
- The Backlot is a 70’ x 50’ space featuring a large white wall backdrop that you can switch out to a black out drape wall.
- The StageRoom is a 30’ x 30’ space featuring high ceilings and stage lighting.
At Soundwave Studios you will not be able to host any performances with a live audience or have groups of over 30 people. However, the Soundwave Studios crew is happy to accommodate same day bookings, so do not hesitate to call when you’re feeling inspired to put something together quickly.
3403 Piedmont Ave, Oakland, CA 94611
Sawmill Studios is a beautifully renovated 1800 sq. ft. industrial loft with natural light and several rooms that are perfect for photoshoots. The loft boasts 10’ ceilings, large windows, exposed brick walls, concrete floors, a full kitchen, and lots of props, plants and furniture throughout the space. This dreamy space is the creation of artist and interior stylist Sarah E. Owen. Contact Sarah through the Sawmill Studios website for rental requests. Also check out the studio’s social media to see some of the photo shoots that have recently taken place there.
991 Tennessee St, San Francisco, CA 94107
Dogpatch Studios is a world-class space in San Francisco’s Dogpatch neighborhood and features three distinct floors that each offer something exciting for your photography or video production projects:
- Floor 1 – 30-foot high ceilings with a fully motorized lighting grid and virtually silent radiant floor heating.
- Floor 2 – Total control precision lighting and complete blackout capabilities.
- Floor 3 – Natural daylight and breathtaking views of the San Francisco skyline.
Dogpatch studios offer state-of-the-art technical and electrical capabilities, therefore it’s not surprising that it houses big brand commercial print and video productions. Vist the Dogpatch Studios website to download the rental information packet and view rental rates.
2055 Bryant St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Left Space in San Francisco has space galore! The building includes 4 ground-level studios, 2 cyclorama walls, and 3 smaller suites. Each color coded studio is a simple space that you can transform into whatever you need:
- Black Studio – An all white 3,800 sq. ft. drive-in space with a cyclorama that is 47′ wide x 43′ deep x 18′ high.
- Red Studio – An all white 1,900 st. ft. space with concrete floor.
- Green Studio – An all white 950 sq. ft. space with concrete floor.
- Blue Studio – An all white 880 sq. ft. space with a cyclorama that is 22′ wide x 19′ deep x 18′ high.
Left Space also offers on-site lighting and grip equipment rentals to help expedite your process. Check out their website and email or call for a booking.
3438 19th St, San Francisco, CA 94110
The Mission Loft is a stunning 1300 sq. ft. residential production studio with various rooms and sets that you can book for your next photo shoot for $169/hr. The studio is on a third-floor walk-up and includes a kitchen, dining room, living room, hallway, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a small patio, with a skylight in the bathroom and plenty of natural lighting coming in throughout the space. Booking is super simple; you can view availability and easily book online through the website.
San Francisco Media Group
950 Battery St 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
San Francisco Media Group offers a large soundstage and two smaller production studios that are the first independent live shot studios in San Francisco:
- Battery Street Stage – Green screen cove and white cyclorama wall, with curtains to completely blackout the space.
- Studio A and Studio B – Designed for live interviews, pre-lit, with remote controlled Panasonic PTZ 4K cameras, teleprompters and audio gear.
You also have access to a full lighting and grip package, as well as streaming packages and even an all-inclusive package that includes 3x remote 4K Panasonic PTZ cameras. San Francisco Media Group can also produce your project, staff it, and source any other equipment as needed.
3073 17th St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Capitol Art offers 2 beautiful, spacious, and dramatic studios that are designed to be bespoke, urban-industrial blank canvases that you can transform into whatever you need. The West Studio is 4,000 sq. ft. and contains a 40’ cyclorama wall as well as 17’ ceilings and 4 skylights. The East Studio is 3,000 sq. ft. and has an exposed beam ceiling with 2 skylights. Use the Capitol Art website to make a reservation or request more information.
Bring Your Vision to Life
These studios, and many others in the San Francisco Bay Area, are expertly equipped to help you bring your creative vision to life. These studios are designed to inspire you and give you the flexibility to mold them to your needs. With so many amazing options to choose from, it’s imperative to prioritize what is most important for your team and project. For your next photo or video project in the San Francisco Bay Area, use this list to help you choose the right studio that offers you the perfect balance between space, equipment, and value. Contact us or any of the studios on this list today if you need expert assistance with setting up your next creative production!